Sunday, March 7, 2010

Back in Black (Tires)

On Friday, I took my bike by PA Bikes to see if I could get a while-u-wait replacement of my brake cables (no dice). I was able to replace my cleats (no yellow at all) and my helmet (smacked to the ground a few weeks ago). While I was there, I noticed that you could see the cabling through the rubber on my rear tire -- time to replace!

I've been running white Continental 4000s this past year. The color isn't common in stores, and as previously noted, they seem to figure prominently in major accidents. It also turns out to be a fairly slow color. At any rate, I switched to Continental 4000S.

These tires rock. Black is a way faster color than white (blue is probably still the fastest color). These tires also have the chili compound, which gives better grip, durability and reduced road resistance -- all in one tire!!! Can you believe it?!!!

Anyhow, today was the big day. Steve, his friend John and I rode the West Alpine loop. It was on this ride a year ago, just after putting new _white_ tires on, that I had a blowout and broke my clavicle. I was very paranoid, especially when going by _the_spot_ on Page Mill. It all worked out well though. Plus I think I'm getting in shape. Solvang is next week!

This is a picture of us on Alpine road, at the turn off for Portola state park. That's me in the middle with my new black chili tires. The next step is to get matching bar tape.

No comments: