Friday, December 11, 2009

Happy Elves on Dec. 8, 2009

David and Rune are too busy to post pictures attesting to their dedicated cycling activities. So I'm posting some for them, and hopefully, they'll elaborate later. For example, I haven't even seen the pictures of David, but I'll assume he was the one who snapped the pictures.

I was in the pool at the time, and though it sounds worse to be swimming rather than biking, I knew I was warmer than the guys on Page Mill. There was slush on the pool deck, but the pool was the same temp as always. When I saw the pictures later that day, I knew I was right about being warmer.


2 comments:

Patrick said...

Looks like fun!

Sour and Green Doctor Pickle said...

It snowed the night of December 6th, and the 7th was cold all day. We rode from Peet's, starting at 6am, getting to the Elves' at about 7am.

Going up was easy. We started seeing clumps of white stuff on the side of the road just past Phil's Dear Valley, which is probably at about 1000' -- pretty low! Going up to gate 4, there were some bumps, but no slipping, and the last part, up to the turnaround point was quite a bit more frosty.

Once we were up there, we realized that there was quite a bit more ice on the road (particularly on the going-down side!) than we'd realized.

It wasn't really _that_ bad, but we did take the descent at about 50% normal speed.

Cold? Yes. The worst part is breaking a sweat on the way up, then cooling off on the way down. Fortunately, we were both wearing all wool, so comfort was the rule of the day.

Hot Cafe Latte at Peet's made it all better.